Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Toddler Sheets and Gigantic Q Snaps

Now that both my girls are in toddler beds, it's been time to look at toddler sheets.  Fortunately, both take crib sheets, so that part is covered.  I was looking for flat sheets for the toddler beds since I think Zoé is ready to have more of a "big girl" type bed.  But, all I could find was the whole sets with comforter, sheets and a pillowcase.  First, neither girl is ready for a pillow yet.  Second, it's like over $30 for the whole set and they don't sell the sheets alone individually for you to swap out with the comforter.

So, I made my own.

It wasn't that hard.  There are several tutorials.  I followed this one but altered slightly.  I don't have a serger so I had to improvise there.  I used my overcasting foot around the raw edges and then folded the corners under 1/4" and stitched in place.  It only took two yards of fabric and Jo-Ann had it on sale for $1.99/yard so the sheet was basically $4.  The cool thing about these sheets is that they are fitted at the one end to make it more difficult to come off when your toddler twists around in bed.

I chose a paw print fabric for Zoé's sheets to go with Bandit, her favorite stuffed animal dog.

It's not quite finished (I have to do the top edge and I'm all done).  I have another two yards to make a fitted bottom sheet. 

Here is me testing it out on the bed with Adèle's "assistance." 


She did not want to get under the sheet so I could demonstrate it though :(

I've reached a crossroads of sorts on my Whitework sampler.  Due to the beadwork, I'm not able to use an 8x11 Q Snap anymore, so I've had to go to my next size which is 11x17.  It makes for a huge awkward frame to hold but so far it's working out.  Don't have much of a choice at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for the sheets, especially having it gathered at the end. I also use an 11x17 Qsnap for a big project. Your stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(