Monday, December 31, 2012

I may be slightly addicted to free books on Kindle...

I don't have a Kindle but I DO have a Windows Phone and there is an app.  I downloaded the app so I could get this book that my ob/gyn wrote (it's quite good actually) but then I discovered this other app that tells you what the free commercial books are of the day.  I've read quite a few as it's easy to read because it's on my phone which is always on me.  I've discovered quite a few "gems."  And then there was the romance novel that I didn't realize was a romance novel until the sex scene showed up.  Eeek.  I normally don't read romances.  Not really into that.


TrailingTrailing by Kristin Louise Duncombe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book because it was free on Kindle.  I finished it in under two hours.  It's not my normal genre but it was very interesting and held my attention the whole way through.

The main character marries a doctor who goes over to Africa to work.  The book deals with her struggles with being isolated, the threats of violence, depression, having a child and trying to find work.  It is based on some of the experiences that the author had as a wife tons doctor in Africa which made all the events believable and real.



My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I really did like the storyline of this book.  It's the story of a couple with marital problems who takes in a group of three foster children right before Christmas.  We watch them dealing with the death their only child and the loss of their last foster child who was taken away by his mother.  We watch them getting attached to these new children, hoping that they won't be taken away but yet searching for the mother.

I didn't realize this was a romance novel until the first sex scene showed up halfway through the book.  Then I read excerpts from the next books in the series which I won't be reading because I really have no desire to see the grown up kids from this book having romances and sex scenes of their own.  However, all that aside, this is a very nice heartwarming story about healing and family.  You'll just have to ignore the sex scenes.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book reminded me a lot of Speak.  It's written in first person and the plot reveals itself through the character's thoughts.

Robin, the main character, wakes up to find that she has fallen off an amusement park ride and her friend who was with her, is also in a coma.  She struggles to cope with having a Traumatic Brain Injury, having issues with day to day tasks and trying to piece together what happened that fateful night.

I really did enjoy this book.  If you have read Speak and liked it, I would definitely recommend it.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a rather wrenching story of Christi Paul and her abusive first relationship.  It really does help to open your eyes to why a woman would stay in a relationship like that.  It's very interesting at the end of the book where she works on healing herself and looking back at what went wrong.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is the story of Brynn.  Her father is killed at the very beginning and Brynn finds out that she's next so she removes her government-issues tracker and runs for it with her friend T.  As they run, Brynn learns more about herself and freedom.  In this book, I see elements of Brave New World, The Hunger Games, 1984 and The Giver.  I really enjoyed it. 


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I downloaded this for free off my Kindle app.

I don't read a lot of mysteries but this book has the feel of an old detective novel with its running monologue that often strays off topic.  There's also a list of interesting characters.  Cindy, his girlfriend, is a direct ancestor of Darwin.  Jack, a bum at McDonald's, claims to be God and does actually know some things that he shouldn't.  Sanchez, a cop, works out with Knighthorse.

Knighthorse is a private eye who used to be a fullback who missed out on the pros because of a bad leg injury.  He is hired to clean the name of a African American boy who is being charged with the murder of his girlfriend.  And then the adventure begins.

This is by far my favorite of the three books in the series although the other two are good reads as well.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is the second Jim Knighthorse book.  It has a lot of the same zany dialogue but I didn't like it quite as much.  He has a few simultaneous cases in this book but it's not difficult to follow.  Definitely worth the read though.

The main case surrounds a historian who was found dead in the desert trying to find information about a mummy that was found there many years back.  It was ruled an accident but the man who hired the historian isn't buying it.  At the same time, Cindy (Jim's girlfriend) is having issues with someone vandalizing her office and Sanchez (Jim's cop friend) is helping his son get revenge on some boys who beat him up.

And there's a surprise at the end.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was my least favorite of the series but I still recommend it if you like the character.  It is a bit darker but it's understandable because of the revelation at the end of the last book.  Like the second book, there are several cases going on.  I think his old detective style monologue gets a bit muddled in this book.  We'll see if it comes back in book 4.

The main case is the disappearance of a man who is involved in trying to stop shark fining.  There's also a case of a flasher in a quiet, exclusive retirement community.  Finally, we have Jim looking into some recent developments on the cold case of his mother's death.  


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The description of the book that you'll read on Kindle doesn't really tell you much of anything that happens in this book.  The plot is actually quite involved.  It was a very interesting read and I'll definitely be looking for a sequel if there is one.

The book starts with the main character, Kira, going to a party and there is an explosion and all of her friends are killed.  Shortly after, she leaves to go to the "Second Chance Institute," a program for high school students that awards a full ride to the college of your choice in exchange for a year of service.  She arrives for training with Blake and discovers that this is not what she signed up for and that she is now tangled in a very bad situation.

I thought the author had a fresh concept and this definitely rides the scifi/fantasy line.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is the memoir of a mother who was forced to give up her child when she got pregnant as a teen but reconnects with her grown son.

It's really kind of heart wrenching because the son is kind of a jerk and her parents are as well but in connecting with her son, she also connects with other members of her family that she never knew.  It's well written and easy to read without becoming overbearing.



Right now, I have two that I'm working on:





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(