Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Behind the String: An Ornament for Dad

I blogged about my dad back in 2012.  He died when I was 21.  Even though I was technically an adult at the time, it was still difficult.  He missed both college graduations, my wedding and both kids.


A few years ago, I made an ornament to memorialize my friend who had committed suicide and I wanted to do something similar. 


I just never could find the right pattern.  Then I realized I was looking for the wrong kind of pattern.

My father was born with a hole in his heart.  Today, this is easily fixable, but in 1949, it was a major issue.  He had surgery to fix it when he was 13 but his life expectancy was a mystery.  The originally said 25.  Then they said 40.  He died at 56 so he doubled his original estimate.

Because of his experience, he collected heart memorabilia.  Especially heart stamps.  Lots of heart stamps. 

So, I decided, his memorial ornament should have a heart also.  I quickly found one.

 "Christmas Love" by Lizzie*Kate
I put his name and dates on the back.  Found an appropriate font.


Now, 12 years after his passing, he is finally a part of my Christmas tree.  And that's the story behind the string

2 comments:

  1. I think this is just the perfect ornament to honor your dear father, Joy. How sad to have lost him at such a young age... My dad died in 2014, but I was 59 then and he was 87. It was still hard, but I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you on all of those special occasions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can write like you, I will be very happy, but where is my luck, in fact people like you are an example to the world. You have written this comment very beautifully, I am very glad that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Real Girl Number Gurugram
    Real Photos Girl Gurugram
    Gurugram Girl Number
    Hyderabad Party Girl
    College Girl Gurugram
    newly married Girls Bhiwadi
    VIP girl mahipalpur
    college girl aerocity
    Cheap price girls gurgaon
    low price girls sector 29

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers! Let me know what you have to say.

I've been having a lot of spam lately so Anonymous users are not allowed. Sorry. :(