I finished up the Candy Cane Horse over the last few days. I used almost the whole spool of Kreinik on the mane! It's quite sparkly. The backstitch is not as dark as the model's. I'm thinking someone changed the colors.
My current strategy for working perforated paper and plastic is to us a size 24 needle on the stitches and then a 26 for the backstitching. The thinner needle easily slips between the existing stitches. This is important because the paper and plastic do not have the "give" that other fabrics have. I could have done the whole thing with a 26 but I was not about to try to get two strands of floss and one strand of BF through that eye!
This means I have two ornaments to stitch, one ornament that is stitched but needs finishing and this year's ornament left to do and I will have completed Emily's ornament box (for more info, see the "Ornament Box" tab on the blog).